Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Streaming Improvements: The Commentary

As you have been seeing, I have been making steps to improve the quality of my broadcasts. We now have a steady schedule and a little more production value (more of this is incoming). The next thing on my list to improve is my broadcasting personality. I don't want to change who I am but simply be more energetic and engaging. I can often be quiet, boring, and uninteresting on stream. I've been aware of this issue for a long while and it's often due to me being simply exhausted and out of energy while other times it’s me simply slipping into game coma after long sessions.

Sometimes I’m able to do it very well such as during my witcher playthrough and L.A. noire playthrough and other times I slip into gaming commas where I barely speak (Like Lost Odyssey). I have to tap into whatever drives me during some playthroughs to being that across all streams.

I’m going to be working on ways to improve my energy levels and focus on having something interesting to say more often. This will be the most difficult part of my stream to improve and will take time. One of the ways you can help me in this regard is by asking questions, commenting on the game or just simply talking to one another. I know being a lurker is preferred amongst most of you, but you might just find yourself having more fun if you are more engaged. Having the chat being interactive with me will also help me be more engaging with you and hopefully improve the entertainment value.


You can help me improve by answering some questions:
  1. What kind of commentary and/or actions keeps your interest when someone is playing a game?
  2. What could I be doing more and/or do less to keep your interest?
  3. When you chose to leave this stream and watch another, is it due to me not being entertaining enough or simply a preference for another streamer?
  4. What kinds of things make you want to talk in chat, and what things make you not want to talk in chat?

7 comments:

  1. 1. I generally like your commentary.

    2. You keep my interest.

    3. I dont watch anyone else on the site.

    4. You talking and having a laugh makes me want to join in, things that make me want to stop chatting is the fact that certain people fill the chat with useless spam and alot of comments get missed. And, recently a new mod or two has been abit power hungry and getting away with it, which is very annoying.

    I'm Aov3 incase u want to refer to me and my post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.i like what you do most of the time by that i mean answering people on the chat and commenting on the game


    3.no, most of the time it's because of work

    4. some things make me chat like some nice topics on the game or dan asking questions of daily life even some funny topics,but some times there are discussions about topics like goverment,religion i just ignore the chat times like that

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to point to one specific thing I look for in commentary. Obviously it would be boring if you narrated your actions: "I'm walking around this area looking for X so that I can do Y". It's always nice when you interact with us, crack a joke and have a laugh. I think any "boringness" on your part in Lost Odyssey stems from the length of the game and the excessive repetitiveness of it (as in any JRPG). Blademaster (Merchant 2006) has been casting The Witcher and it's just so long that there are times he and the chat are dead. No specific fault on your part, Dan.

    The only reason I would stop watching your cast in preference of another is if the game you're playing has gotten stale for me and I want a change or if chat is so crowded that comments get washed away by spam or stupid stuff. In those cases though can just fullscreen and continue watching.

    Things that interest me to talk about are: upcoming releases, be it game or film related; technology (new hardware, building PCs / buying hardware; cracking (inappropriate) jokes.

    Overall, just chatting with us, answering questions, throwing out questions for us, cracking jokes. But don't worry too much, because you're obviously doing something right for us to keep watching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of commentary and/or actions keeps your interest when someone is playing a game?
    1. I like the jokes you make during games, and when you talk about upcoming games while playing :)

    What could I be doing more and/or do less to keep your interest?
    2. You generally keep my interest very well. I only catch myself losing interest when you are online redesigning the stream, but I will watch recordings if so. Also, I love seeing the kitties! They make me smile :)

    When you chose to leave this stream and watch another, is it due to me not being entertaining enough or simply a preference for another streamer?
    3. I only ever leave if you're not online...even then, sometimes I will just watch a recording :D I do like watching channels with scary games, but that's just a personal preference.

    What kinds of things make you want to talk in chat, and what things make you not want to talk in chat?
    4. I like when you interact with your viewers, so definitely keep that up if it's not too much work! (for example, game suggestions, maybe even topics not gaming-related)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Spontanious jokes, people can see right through you if you're just forcing a joke or it just comes out of you naturally, don't be afraid to speak your mind out with the game :) -If that makes sense, lol-

    2. I usally am interested in the stream, unless it's all quiet and just talking on chat. -Like it happened sometimes while watching Lost Odyssey-

    3. I don't leave to go to other streams, if I leave the stream is because I'm not feeling well and I don't go to other stream at all.

    4. I love talking in chat when people actually have an opinion and something intelligent to say. Sure, saying random stuff can get really funny, but sometimes it just annoys me or makes me want to stay in the background and lurk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Basically what you are doing.

    2. Most people like funny anecdotes here and there, but keep in mind that some anecdotes should be kept personal.

    3. The only time I watch another stream is when you aren't streaming :D

    4. I always have a great time with the chat. Except when it's a political debate or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. i like your commenting as it is now. if people thought it was boring you certainly wouldn't have that many viewers :O don't push yourself too hard dan <3

    2. hard to say since you generally keep my interest. if not, it's mostly because of the game you are playing but i think that's just natural since you cast such a wide variety of games. (which is awesome :DD)

    3.if i leave the stream while you are casting it's not because i don't like your style of commenting but because i just want to watch another caster (since a looong time i have like 2-3 favourite casters and you're among them). but that's one of the great things of jtv/twitchtv: the broad community.

    4. i admit it. i'm a lurker 99% of the time. :P i can only speak for myself but the reason why i rarely write in chat is for one thing the language barrier (i'm german) and for another thing me being a very shy person.

    ReplyDelete